In case you haven’t heard of these amazing “boxes,” Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) boxes are the epitome of the farm-to-table movement. Basically you get fruits and veggies (and sometimes other bonuses like nuts, milk, bread, and meat) from local farms. Many CSA providers source from several different farms in order to provide a larger variety of fruits and vegetables every week, but each CSA is different. Local Harvest is a great website to find a CSA near you!
Reasons you need to sign up for a CSA now:
- You will always have veggies in the house. Every week, you get a new “box” of veggies. You will get some repeat veggies from week to week but they try to mix it up so you don’t get bored. Many also have a “trade” table at our pickup location so you can trade out what you don’t want.
- You get to try new foods that you wouldn’t have tried if no one gave them to you. Ever had purple potatoes? Or shashito peppers?
- Your diet will be more varied which means you will be more inclined to eat more veggies! Instead of eating the same old steamed broccoli every night, you will learn how to make all kinds of new foods that you wouldn’t have considered otherwise. Ever thought about making salsa verde? If your CSA gives you tomatillos, you will learn that it’s actually pretty easy to make – and even more delicious than the kind from the store!
- You will go to the grocery store way less often! Just let that sink in for a minute.
- Getting a box of veggies every week means less time spent trying to figure out what to buy at the grocery store and more time spent trying new foods instead of eating the same old broccoli and cauliflower. Your CSA will give you food, and you will cook it. Done.
- Your box might sometimes have surprise non-vegetables – like pistachios or starter plants! Of course, what you get depends on what types of plants grow wherever you live.
- Your CSA might include add-ons like meat, eggs, bread, and cheese. You could avoid the grocery store altogether!
- A lot of the stuff is organic or grown without the use of pesticides.
- They give you recipes to go with the veggies you just got. You don’t have to think about it or search things online. It’s just there. Easy.
- Lastly, you will feel good about yourself for supporting local agriculture. Go you!