If your resolution is to “lose weight” or “get healthy,” let me break the suspense for you – you will fail. Setting our intentions is half the battle of achieving our intentions (obviously, I know). But hold up, before you go wasting your time with blasé intentions, take time to really think about what you want and how you want to live your life. And then focus your intentions in the most positive and specific manner.
Resolutions, or any sort of goals, need to be positive, specific, and attainable! Your goal shouldn’t include “won’t” or “stop” or “not.” Life is all about habits – if you want to get rid of a bad habit, you need a replacement habit. Furthermore, your new habit needs to be specific or it won’t stick. And last of all, make it doable, or you will give up (again) and fall back into your pattern of failure. Not good.
If you want to lose weight and/or get healthy, the following list of resolutions focuses on positive and specific behaviors that should result in you losing weight or getting healthier. Of course, for better results, pick something that you’re not already doing and something you think is doable (and that you want to do).
1. I will fill half of my plate with veggies every day for dinner (try braised mixed greens – surprisingly amazing).
2. I will go hiking, biking, jogging or something active at least 2 times per week.
3. I will walk my dog, cat, pig, goat etc. (or myself) for at least 30 minutes every day.
4. I will walk 10,000 steps per day.
5. I will eat a piece of fruit every day.
6. I will find an activity I enjoy and then do that activity (maybe you could try yoga, surfing, roller blading, skateboarding, skiing, running, hiking, swimming, rock climbing, slack lining).
7. I will eat breakfast.
8. I will drink 8 glasses of water every day.
9. I will brush and floss every day right after dinner.
10. I will only use small plates.
11. I will go to bed at the same time every night.
12. I will find a hobby that I enjoy more than I enjoy food (write a blog!).
13. I will eat when I am hungry.
14. I will sit down to eat.
15. I will go for a walk during my lunch hour.
16. I will take the stairs.
17. I will sit up straight (and use my abs!) at work.
18. I will eat fish twice per week.
19. I will look at food labels.
20. I will sign up for a CSA (community supported agriculture) box.
21. I will pack my lunch.
22. I will bike to work.
23. I will eat more dark chocolate!
24. I will put away all my tech toys (phones, TV, tablets etc.) at least 30 minutes before bed.
25. I will get on the ground and play with my kids!
26. I will go outside and play with my kids!
27. I will find a group class I like.
28. I will join an adult sports team.
29. I will buy clothes that fit the body I have, and I will actively tell myself how great I look!
30. I will workout while watching the Biggest Loser.
31. I will get a massage.
32. I will eat whole wheat bread.
33. I will figure out how to eat those chia seeds that everyone has been raving about.
34. I will try one new fruit or vegetable every week!
35. I will cook a meal from scratch (no boxes!) at least twice per week.
36. I will learn how to cook one new meal every week.
37. I will buy a new knife for chopping vegetables.
38. I will join a running or hiking (or whatever it is you like) group or will find a buddy.
39. I will go to the farmer’s market every week.
40. I will only eat deserts that are WORTH IT!
41. I will drink tea at least 4 times per week.
42. I will practice meditation.
43. I will join the craze of walking meetings.
44. I will read books about healthy eating (my favorites: The Omnivore’s Dilemna and In Defense of Food).
45. I will watch documentaries about our food system that will scare me into eating real food (life changing film: Food Inc.).
46. I will do strength training exercises at least twice a week (I will go into the dreaded free weight section of the gym! Or simply incorporate body weight strength training).
47. I will drink more wine! Because… Wine!
Reblogged this on where we are and commented:
I know I haven’t been a very active blogger lately. Between 2 different flu strains hitting me this month while finishing up the semester of teaching and applying for graduate school and visiting family in North Carolina…. I’ve been a little busy! But this post I wrote last year still holds true and has some great ideas if you’re still looking for a New Years Resolution. As for me, this year, I resolve to get back to my blog and get published – somewhere or anywhere.